The Therapeutic Order
Naturopathic Doctors also adhere to a therapeutic order. This order is based on the belief that the safest and most gentle treatment modalities should always be used first.
Re-establish the foundation for health:
- Identify and address the root causes of health, whether lifestyle, environmental, genetic, spiritual, emotional, mental, or physical factors. Remove obstacles to cure and replace them with obstacles to disease.
Stimulate the healing power of nature:
- Implement naturopathic modalities, including food as medicine, botanical medicine, hydrotherapy, homeopathy, Bach flower essences, etc to provide the whole body with the time and space to heal itself.
Support weakened or damaged systems:
- Use abovementioned modalities to strengthen the immune system, decrease toxicity, normalize inflammatory function, optimize metabolic function, balance regulatory systems, enhance regeneration, harmonize life forces, etc.
Correct structural integrity:
- Use therapeutic exercise, naturopathic spinal manipulation, massage, somatic re-education, cranial-sacral therapy, and other physical medicine modalities to recreate optimal structural condition.
Prescribe specific natural substances for pathology:
- To promote health, prescribe foods, botanicals, supplements before prescribing pharmaceuticals if possible.
Prescribe pharmacological substances for pathology:
- Use pharmaceutical drugs to return to health when required.
Use surgery, suppressive drugs, radiation, and chemotherapy:
- Use aggressive therapies to attempt to maintain health.
I dedicate myself to the service of humanity as a practitioner of the art and science of naturopathic medicine.
I will honour my teachers and all who have preserved and developed this knowledge and dedicate myself to supporting the growth and evolution of naturopathic medicine. I will endeavour to continually improve my abilities as a healer through study, reflection and genuine concern for humanity. I will impart knowledge of the advanced healing arts to dedicated colleagues and students.
Through precept, lecture and example, I will assist and encourage others to strengthen their health, reduce risks for disease, and preserve the health of our planet for ourselves, our families, and future generations.
According to my best ability and judgement, I will use methods of treatment which follow the principles of naturopathic medicine.
- First of all, to do no harm.
- To act in cooperation with the healing power of nature.
- To address the fundamental causes of disease.
- To heal the whole person through individualized treatment.
- To teach the principles of healthy living and preventative medicine.
I will conduct my life and the practice of naturopathic healthcare with vigilance, integrity, and freedom from prejudice. I will abstain from voluntary acts of injustice and corruption. I will keep confidential whatever I am privileged to witness, whether professionally or privately, that should not be divulged.
With my whole heart, before this gathering of witnesses, as a doctor of naturopathic medicine, I pledge to remain true to this oath.